Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Hey! Look! A title bar!!

Today I wanna write about two things in particular. First, the
BYU Symphonic Orchestra
concert that I went to last night with my roommates (one of my roommates actually performs in it! She plays the violin, and she sort of rocks!). Second, the ridiculousness of what I learned about in
 American Heritage today.

So here goes: the concert--

Let me tell you a little about me. I was in band from my fifth grade year clear until my sophomore year of High School. It didn't matter where we moved, I'd be in the band, and I loved that little piece of stability in my life. My junior year, I decided to try out for the mixed choir, and I miraculously made it! It was unlike anything I'd ever done before...and I loved it. Throughout all of my musical experience, the thing that I really loved most was being right in the middle of the music. Being able to close my eyes and play...or sing...and just feel the music running through me, wrapping around me, surrounding me, enveloping me. That's something I really miss here in college.

So what does this have to do with the concert last night? Everything.
I honestly don't think I have ever heard an orchestra perform well! I didn't have high expectations for the concert, in fact, I didn't even have low expectations for the concert. But the moment that the conducter cued the beginning...I was gone. I was lost inside the music, the feeling of it again, that feeling I've missed so much! I just had to close my eyes and revel in it! It was incredible. My absolute favorite, though, was "Lullaby" from Gayaneh by Aram Khachaturian. I loved the smoothness of it, the pulse through the middle section....it gives me chills to think about it!

Listening to classical symphonic music like this makes me wonder something, though....
Why the heck did Mr. Weed even let us touch music like this in band?! We never ever ever could've played it up to par, and I know for a lot of it, I sat in my chair and glared at the sheet music like it was my personal enemy. Comparing the two experiences was like comparing the taste of
packet hot chocolate
 to the taste of
Starbuck's hot chocolate!
There is no comparison. The packet hot chocolate is just a sad imitation. Our rendition of classical symphonic music was just like packet hot chocolate. Sad. Tasteless. Pitiful.

Unfortunately, I have to save the ridiculousness for a later date...I've got to get to class fairly soon. But stay tuned! Don't go! It'll come.
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment

A piece of writing should never stand alone--it should always be surrounded by opinion and companionship. So comment! Tell me what you think! Seriously. I'll never get better at this writing thing unless there's opposition. Argue with me. Praise me. Hate me. Love me. But write about it, please.