Friday, January 6, 2012

My Bucket List

Do you know what I really wanna do?
  • See something consequential. Like....the Eiffel Tower (that's everyone's first pick) or the doorway in Venice that's in that painting in the MOA. I wanna see the world from the top of a Mayan Pyramid. Something consequential. Like this:
  • I wanna plant a rose garden. Really bad. I don't know why.
  • Catch a firefly. I have never ever seen a real firefly. I'm gonna catch one someday. In a jar. Old school style.
  • I wanna donate an organ. This is kind of a "Seven Pounds" thing. No picture, thankfully, of this one.
  • Meet the Prophet. Whoever or whichever it is.
  • Make a stranger laugh. Genuinely. I want this person to double over laughing. And not because of an embarrassing occurence.
  • I wanna have a baby. I know it'll be hard. I know it'll be uncomfortable. I know I'll never sleep, I'll never not smell like baby puke--I realize this. But there's this scene in Juno...and Jennifer Garner is just sitting there, looking at her beautiful little boy, and it makes a part of me ache...
  • I want to change the world. I want to influence a great number of people deeply. I want to share a little bit of how I see the world, because how I see the world is different than the way anyone else sees the world. And I think that....I don't know. I'm just silly. But this one stays on my list anyway.

I feel that God has placed so much potential inside of me. I'm here at BYU, I'm so blessed with such a wonderful family, and I have these gifts--especially this gift for writing. Why should I not fulfill my dreams?

Why should I not seek to become everything and more that I can be?


And why should I be anyone else while I'm doing it? I like who I am. And so does God. That's enough for me.

4 comments:

  1. Great bucket list! I know that if you are true to who you are as a daughter of God, and as yourself, you'll influence countless numbers through your testimony, your goodness, and most importantly, your future motherhood.
    P.S. I love you just the way you are, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your bucket list :) So thrilled you have a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I had to laugh about the firefly thing. When your cousins go back east during the summer, they always catch fireflies. Yep, even the older boys! There is just something about them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your bucket list and especial love who you are! You continue to amaze me and I smile deeply to see your Spiritual understanding increase! You have definitely been blessed with a talent for expression! Love you Rachel!

    ReplyDelete

A piece of writing should never stand alone--it should always be surrounded by opinion and companionship. So comment! Tell me what you think! Seriously. I'll never get better at this writing thing unless there's opposition. Argue with me. Praise me. Hate me. Love me. But write about it, please.