Wednesday, December 11, 2013

What is Meaningful to You? (Part 2)

Here's part II of my "Meaningful to Me" series of posts. Yes, I know it's been almost a week. It's finals. Chill out.

This one may surprise some people, but I have a secret love for this song. It's "The Fear" by Lily Allen.


The song is SO DARN CATCHY! Also, I love her accent. And while I can honestly say that I'm not a fan of her other stuff, and I even had to find a clean version of this song, I respect her for her honesty in this song. In the song, she talks about all the main (terrible) aspects of our society today: consumerism, alcohol, celebrity worship, infidelity, body shaming, etc. The list goes on and she very thoroughly discusses them all. However, the chorus reads:

"I don't know what's right or what's real anymore.
And I don't know how I'm meant to feel anymore.
When do you think it will all become clear?
Cause I'm being taken over by the fear."



I think that perhaps this is the most honest song in the music industry today. Things in the world have a tendency to make us all crazy and let us forget what's important and what it means to really feel. It's terrifying. So many people live a life full of....things. But they're just things. Having a huge house full of clothes and game systems and TVs and pools and kitchens and even friends doesn't mean anything. And though Lily Allen probably doesn't know where to find meaning in her life, I do, and this song helps me remember how important it is to keep hold of that. 

Is there a song that's meaningful to you that most people wouldn't find particularly moving? 
Or even just a song that you find meaningful?

No comments:

Post a Comment

A piece of writing should never stand alone--it should always be surrounded by opinion and companionship. So comment! Tell me what you think! Seriously. I'll never get better at this writing thing unless there's opposition. Argue with me. Praise me. Hate me. Love me. But write about it, please.