Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Beautiful Things

I'm writing today because I feel especially appreciative of the beauty in my life. There are a couple things that have made me feel this way:

First, a beautiful story. A lovely girl, haunted by a series of events and a kind boy who was patient enough to earn her love, and when the time came, to risk losing her to give her the happiness she had always deserved, to free her so she could be the woman she was always meant to be. A story about how we go on after tragedy changes our lives. We are never the same, but we can be beautiful again--scarred things can be lovely, and scarred people can smile in a way that is more striking than the cleanest, prettiest flower garden. Why? Because in their eyes, we can see the wisdom that their trials have afforded us, and it touches something inside of us.  It's also a story about how the universe affords us miracles at rare, clear, fortunate moments.

Second, a heartwarming reunion. An old friend in a time that was difficult for me. At first we danced around our acquaintance, unable to remember how we'd met, only sure that we knew bizarrely personal things about each other. Realization dawned and so did sweet happiness. He is now married to the girl, and I am married to the boy, and life is sometimes so achingly lovely that my heart feels it will break. I could see the happiness in his eyes, a far cry from the despair and weight that I saw in them last. I wish that everyone in the world could be as happy as possible, as happy as he has managed to be. There is much to rejoice over that we don't even see in our lives. I got a glimpse of that little bit today.

Third, a midnight hug. I woke up last night after a tense dream in which I was hurt by someone close to me. Dreams like these are difficult for me and happen more frequently than I'd like to admit. I lay there whimpering and struggling to breath normally, when suddenly a warm weight wrapped itself around me and my heart slowly began to unclench itself. He was still asleep, I'm sure, but simply having his warm arms around me took away my sadness and filled my soul with a soft, grateful feeling that has stuck with me all day. He is the companion of my heart, and I never knew I could be so safe and content until I found myself wrapped up in a lovely, happy life by his side. The security and joy we share is enough to overpower the fear and difficulties we face.

Fourth, a lovely poetry book, and some lovely quotes.





No comments:

Post a Comment

A piece of writing should never stand alone--it should always be surrounded by opinion and companionship. So comment! Tell me what you think! Seriously. I'll never get better at this writing thing unless there's opposition. Argue with me. Praise me. Hate me. Love me. But write about it, please.