Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Honor of Kings

"I was taught that when you visit a King, rather than expect a gift, one should bring one to lay at his feet."



The story of Esther has always been one of my favorites. It's one of the best examples of God's careful planning. But I've always wondered at the circumstances behind the story--what would possess a King of Persia to choose a Jewish woman to marry? How would Haman ever convince that King to kill an entire people?

I suppose there will never be any real answers in this life. But I did see a movie last night that offered an interesting and sensical filling in of those gaps--One Night With The King.

It tells of the story of Hadasseh, a Jewish girl living with her uncle, Mordecai. The King of Persia seeks a new wife and pulls many eligible women from the surrounding villages and cities to be trained as "candidates". Afraid of being persecuted for her Jewish heritage, Hadasseh takes on the name "Esther" and quickly captures the heart of the King. He marries her, and she becomes the Queen of Persia.

Parallel to Hadasseh's story is that of Haman. He is the descendant of Agag, a King killed by Saul. Prophesied to take revenge on the Jews for this misdeed, Haman creeps into the King's favor while setting up his murderous plot.

The two stories meet and the edict for the annihilation of the Jews is given. Hadasseh is given no choice but to break protocol and go into the King un-summoned. She does so at the risk of her life, and is accepted by the King. She offers her heritage up and the King believes her and gets rid of Haman. Happy ending.

There were a few things in this movie that really struck me. For example, the quote found at the beginning of the post.

I've thought a lot about this quote, running it over and over in my mind. Should one really bring a gift to a King? He is the rich one. He has more to give. The subject is unlikely to procure a gift suitable to the King anyway. Should not the King offer gifts to those he allows into his presence?

But in the movie, Hadasseh offers the King her most prized possession, a gift from her parents--the symbol of her past, her present, and her future. He is honored, and she wins his heart.

I began to think of all the things that a King already does for his people. He offers them security and maintains their wealth and freedoms. He is their advocate with the angry Kings of other lands who seek to do them harm.

As I thought of this...I started thinking about our relationship with our King, The Savior. Is it fair of us to expect gifts from him?

Then I started thinking about everything the Savior did for us. He left his home to come to earth and live in dirt and poverty. He took upon himself all of our sins and pains. He even died for us. He is prepared to stand as an intercessor when we go to be judged after this life. He offered the only way that we can be happy for the rest of eternity.

Should we then expect him to shower us with gifts when accepted into his presence? No. He has already done enough for us. It is our duty to bring a gift to lay at his feet. Perhaps even the same gift that Esther offered--our past, present and future. Our heart.



"I was taught that when you visit a King, rather than expect a gift, one should bring one to lay at his feet."

No comments:

Post a Comment

A piece of writing should never stand alone--it should always be surrounded by opinion and companionship. So comment! Tell me what you think! Seriously. I'll never get better at this writing thing unless there's opposition. Argue with me. Praise me. Hate me. Love me. But write about it, please.