Saturday, August 25, 2012

Yes. The Vow. Sue me.

So...in my Nyquill induced sleep last night, I watched the Vow twice to make sure I got everything I love about that movie.

I noticed some new things.

Firstly, this movie shows love for real. I mean, come on! Leo's love for Paige is even purer than her parent's love for her--and I say that delicately, because I know I don't understand being a parent.

At the end she says:

"Thank you....you did everything! You accepted me for who I am and not for who you wanted me to be."


I just think....that is what love is. Letting someone be what they are, and loving them anyway.

Then, even though I hate Paige's mother, I was struck by what she says about her husband, who cheated on her.

"I chose to stay with him for all the things that he did right, and not leave him for the one thing that he did wrong."

And initially, I did not agree with her decision. But as I think about it, I realize that love requires that level of forgiveness and willingness to overlook faults.

Am I right? Maybe not. Oh well.

2 comments:

  1. When I saw The Vow, I noticed those things, too. And I completely agree. Love is and isn't about finding the perfect person. What I mean by that is, no one will ever be "perfect" in this life, so there are no perfect matches or soul mates. But, one can find someone whose imperfections are compatible with his or hers, and grow into a perfect love with them. I hope that makes sense, haha. Just a few of my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen the movie (I know, a great tragedy I'm sure), but I definitely agree with the sentiment. Love is only complete when you can accept both the good and the bad in someone. I hesitate to say that there is no instantly perfect couple that have no qualms or things they dislike about the relationship because I also believe that is possible, but highly impractical to hold out for. It feels so much more real and personal when someone loves even knowing all your faults and failings.

    ReplyDelete

A piece of writing should never stand alone--it should always be surrounded by opinion and companionship. So comment! Tell me what you think! Seriously. I'll never get better at this writing thing unless there's opposition. Argue with me. Praise me. Hate me. Love me. But write about it, please.